WAYS TO DE-STRESS YOUR HOME LIFE
1. GET AWAY FROM IT ALL ... TOGETHER: If your partner won't talk or listen, having conversations outside the how can be useful.
2. LEAN ON A FRIENDLY SHOULDER: The feeling of being loved and cared for by friends and family goes a long way in protecting you from negative-effects of stress.
3. GET A HANDLE ON FINANCES: Develop a plan to control spending and overspending.
4. TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR TIME: Make daily "to do" lists. On your list, rank four to six items in order of importance.
5. PUT THINGS IN THERE PLACE: Organizing your home can help you turn chaos into order.
6. COOL IT, THEN SAY IT: If you fool stressed because you can't control your partner or child's behavior, the first thing to do is to not let yourself got out of control an though the things around you are very irritating and bothersome. Then once you manage to control your own stress in this environment, see if you can communicate in a calm and controlled manor. Remember, one persons stress contaminates others. This can break down communication quickly.
7. GIVE YOURSELF MINI TINE-OUTS: Don't lot yourself become overwhelmed by tasks and obligation but see them in prospective.
8. SET APPROPRIATE GOALS: Accept what you can be and don't waste tim worrying about what you can't be.
9. SEE YOURSELF IN A GOOD LIGHT: List your strengths and skills.
10. WISHING WON'T DO IT: Stop yourself whenever you start thinking: "If only I were rich", "If only I had married someone else", "If only I hadn't said what I said". Living in the past and wishing-something else stops you from reaching your now goals.
11. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THINGS THAT AREN'T WORTH WORRYING ABOUT: In other words, "don't sweet the small stuff". Remember, its all small stuff.
12. LAUGH A LITTLE: Don't wait until all else fails to use humor. Laughter helps to ease anxiety , frustration, anger, and tension between people. Laughter may also help you tune in to optimism. There is evidence that laughter protects against the effects of negative stress by triggering the release of endorphins, the body's natural pain killer.
Samuel Simmons Consulting * PO Box 6120 * Minneapolis, MN * 55406-0120